Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Going veg again

For a little while. I really don't eat much meat... I don't remember the last time. But I've been eating all these beautiful and creative vegetable based dishes, and they have me wanting to be veg and be proud again. And thus, I give you...

The Most Beautiful Salad

1 bag Spring Mix salad mix
Half pound kale
One can mandarin oranges
Quarter of a red onion
4 beets, with greens
3 teaspoons flax seeds
2 ounces goat cheese (unless Vegan)
Sprinkle of chopped walnuts
Great big bowl - I had to use a soup pot

Wash and peel beets. Individually wrap in foil and roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes - until you can easily put a fork in them and remove it again
Remove leaves from the stems of the kale. Remove leaves from beet stems, tearing into smaller pieces. Toss with spring mix.
Chop onion into long slices and toss in.
Slice beets thinly, combining with salad. Add mandarin oranges and flax seeds.
Crumble goat cheese (if you please) over the top of the salad. Sprinkle in walnuts. Toss with two large spoons.

Great on its own, but I have an excellent lemon dressing that brings it all out. "Lemon Goddess" by Drew's. I got it at Hannaford. Whole Foods has a great lemon parsley dressing at their salad bar.

No comments: