Friday, June 18, 2010

I dislike this.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I feel like, if you're going to move into an apartment, it's good to have some notice of when you'll be doing that, not just something you look up on the internet, say that'll do, and then you move in 2 days later. But apparently this is how it works. When I was first looking for a place in May, for an August 1st move in, it became readily apparent that this is not the way the world works. I thought maybe in June. Nope. Middle of June? Nope, still everything is for July 1st. I'm someone that wants to know things in advance and be able to have a plan. So this is killing me, knowing that this is all going to be fairly last minute. I mean, I understand it, from a landlord's perspective. Why get someone signed up for an apartment 3 months in advance when you can get someone that wants to move in right away and make 3 more months of rent out of it? At least one prospective landlord was polite about turning me down and agreed that it feels better to do this stuff in advance.

There's no right away to deal with this, as far as talking to my grandmother about it. If I do it far enough in advance, that just maximizes the amount of time I have to spend with her making me miserable and trying to talk me out of it and trying to convince me that I can't hack it. If I wait too long, it's OH MY GOD THIS IS SO LAST MINUTE WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME? No matter what I end up doing here, it's going to be the same. So my best option has been to just prolong the inevitable as much as I can. Which is how I approach many challenging situations. I know, it's great.

I wrote down a million phone numbers of apartment rentals that I couldn't just e-mail about. I hate phones. Texting was the best thing ever invented for me, since I can stay social and make plans without ever having to ever actually and awkwardly talk to a person. Part of me doesn't even want to bother making these calls in the 45 minutes I have left before I have to go back to work, because I just know I'm going to get shot down and told to wait until July 1st anyways.

Also, I really have no desire to rent from someone who uses "u" and "plz" in his e-mails. You're not Prince, buddy. (If anyone is, I am) I'm not feeling that great about you handling thousands of my dollars.

Torn between bliss and frustration so much lately. Work itself was nice today, so far, on my 2 hours out of the 9.5 total, but I had a few crappy interactions with other people that threatened to sour the whole time. Feeling pressured about some other non-work things. But very happy otherwise in that situation. So I don't know. I'm sort of waiting for the inevitable breakdown. It's just going to be a long wait until August 1st.

3 comments:

choperena said...

You clearly don't live in a college town. Here, every lease goes from August 1st, and it is impossible to find something midway through the year. Oh! And since there are so many stupid students, you have to start looking early spring, or get on the waiting list a year early.

choperena said...

Oh yeah, good luck with your grandma. I'd say probably, once you've secured a place, giving her about three or four week's notice will give her enough time to "make arrangements" and crap.

Anonymous said...

If people give thirty day's notice to move out of an apartment, how will anyone know if apartments are available much more than that in advance?