Thursday, April 29, 2010

Illegal immigrants aren't taking all the jobs.

I am.

I picked up job #6 on Monday. It's another shelter affiliated with my original shelter, so all I had to do was call up, say I'm interested in getting some hours there, and boom, the next day I was in for my first of 2 6-hour shadow shifts. By day 2 I pretty much had it under control, although it's very hard to be confused by "eating chicken and rice while a woman talks about how someone at her last job sabotaged her" and "watching people watch The Young and The Restless." Incidentally, that show is not even remotely worth the money I got paid to watch it.

I have my first "real" shift on Sunday. I hang out from 10 am to 6 pm. Then, I run to my other shelter to supervise dinner. I might accidentally be doing crazy overtime again this week, but I'm currently pleading ignorance.

To be honest, although it's possible for me to work 40 hours a week at this shelter, I'd rather not, because I love the day shelter so much. As soon as I mentioned picking up time over there, the face of one of the awesome guys I work with fell and he begged me not to leave. I'm not. I can't. I love him and a bunch of the other people, and the clients, and it's not the same at the women's shelter. I just can't get the hours I need at the day shelter, and the schedules aren't made nearly as far in advance, so it's hard to say no when I'm offered a 9 hour shift, especially when I might end up with a one hour shift at the day shelter.

The best part of this whole situation is that it clears the way for subbing to be a "fill in the open time, just once in a while" sort of thing for me, instead of my full time job. I can't tell you how sick I was of subbing, and how liberating it felt to be away from it for a week last week. That's when I realized that there was no way I could go back to it, and if I could get enough hours elsewhere, damn, that's fine. I had a great time hanging out in Portland last week, visiting the library and taking walks, so it'd be fine if I had a weird shift setup that left me with a few open hours in between. As long as it's not randomly SNOWING like it did for three minutes today. Yes, seriously. Goddamnit, Maine. Cut the shit.

So, abrupt subject change. The theme of the week, well, really, my life right now, has been "say fuck it and do what I want." And accordingly, I got pierced, I called up the women's shelter about hours, and I went to a concert by myself. I saw Against Me! at Port City Music Hall last night, and it was an incredible show! I'm actually a little cut up from the mosh pit. I wasn't in it, per say, but a guy did fall on me. He apologized for knocking my glasses off my face. Aww, polite moshers. I had a fantastic time, and I'm so glad I took the risk of going alone instead of saying "well, none of my friends want to go, so I guess I'll just stay home and feel sorry for myself." I did start talking to a guy, but he wasn't terribly interesting, so I focused more on dancing and enjoying the show instead of HERE'S A MAN, I MUST MAKE HIM MY CONQUEST. I'm just hoping if I go to more shows, maybe I'll start meeting more people and making more friends. At the very least, it'll be a new hobby for me. And I desperately need a hobby that isn't a little embarrassing (see also: title of this blog, URL of this blog, main subject of this blog.)

The ear is healing up nicely. I can move the jewelry around to clean the hole much better now, and it didn't even really hurt when it got bumped when someone pulled me into a hug the other night. If I wasn't so embarrassed by my panic attack wooziness, I'd be running back to Nate for a tragus next. I guess I should at least let this one get halfway healed first.

I think it's time to change my "about me." "I'm a 23 year old knitter and substitute teacher, usually in special education" isn't quite the story any more. Shit, being 23 isn't even accurate in a couple weeks. That's a little bit horrifying. And at some point I'll deal with that sidebar about FOs, actually post about them, and actually link the other ones. If I sum up the effort/am home for more than 2 hours at a time.

No comments: